With the precarious security situation in Libya, insurance for anyone working or travelling here is vital. Standard policies will not be valid. If you need to visit, you should take out specialist Libya insurance that will provide the cover you need and will remain valid despite the higher potential risks.
Libya insurance – quick facts
- There is a high risk of war and terrorism
- Carefully consider your security arrangements before traveling to Libya
- There is a high level of kidnap – consider kidnap and ransom insurance
- International health insurance in Libya is essential, along with cover for emergency evacuation
Get the right insurance for Libya
- Specialist Libya insurance – can include protection for personnel, property, vehicles and equipment, and crews and cargoes for offshore activities
- We can cover all of your business liabilities in Libya and help you to understand and meet contractual and local insurance obligations
- Due to limited medical facilities and the high-risk to personal security, specialist Libya insurance is advised for visitors and expats
- We can cover you for life, personal accident, personal disability, medical emergencies, evacuation and other specialist insurance needs, including kidnap and ransom cover
Insurance in Libya
Libya has historically been an attractive country for western expats in the oil and gas, engineering and construction sectors and Bellwood Prestbury has extended cover for many companies and individuals operating in harsh environments and high-risk occupations here.
The political and military instability that has plagued Libya since the fall of Colonel Gadhafi in 2011 seems to be deepening into full-blown civil war. Fighting between the government and rival groups of Islamic militants has wrought misery and chaos across the country. Parliament has regularly been besieged and government ministries occupied. Though most groups are fighting for the interests of their own region, some have allied themselves to larger Islamist organisations.
There is a high risk of military and terrorist attack and kidnapping. Foreign nationals, particularly westerners, are a favoured target. In the light of the high-risk to personal security, standard insurance policies will not be valid. Even if you suffer a road traffic accident or a heart attack with no relation to the troubles, you will not be able to claim on a standard policy.
Bellwood Prestbury is an expert in providing policies for situations like Libya; insurance cover that will be valid anywhere in the country. We can create bespoke policies that will cover you for life, health, travel and disability. We can provide protection for your equipment, cover your business liabilities, and cover additional costs should you be delayed in getting out of the country.
Four Italian construction workers have been kidnapped in Libya, the Italian foreign ministry has confirmed....
Kidnap and ransom insurance has had a high profile in recent weeks following a UN resolution and proposed...
Earlier this month, the Al-Ghani oil field, 440 miles southeast of Tripoli, was attacked by Islamic State...
Latest Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice
The FCO advise against all travel to Libya. There is a high threat from terrorism including kidnapping. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.