Specialist Israel insurance may be needed if you are planning to visit or work in the Occupied Palestinian territories. While the risk of terrorist attack is relatively low in most of Israel, the security situation in Gaza, the Golan Heights, the West Bank and East Jerusalem presents a significant threat to visitors. Make sure your Israel insurance is appropriate to where you going and what you intend to do.
Israel insurance – quick facts
- There is a high risk of terrorism in certain areas
- International health insurance in Israel is advised, along with cover for emergency evacuation, especially if you are travelling to the Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Demonstrations and violent incidents can occur without warning in East Jerusalem and the Occupied Palestinian Territories
Get the right insurance for Israel
- Specialist Israel insurance – can include protection for personnel, property, vehicles, equipment, crews and cargoes
- We can cover all of your business liabilities in Israel and help you to understand and meet contractual and local insurance obligations
- Due to potential high risk to personal security, specialist Israel insurance is advised for visitors and expats
- We can cover you for life, personal accident, personal disability, medical emergencies, evacuation and other specialist insurance needs, including kidnap and ransom cover
Potential dangers in Israel and the occupied Palestinian Territories
Since it was created in 1948, the state of Israel has been at the centre of Middle Eastern conflict. Though much of the country is safe to visit, there are serious security issues for anyone visiting or operating in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
Be aware that if FCO advice is against travel to a certain area, visitors there will probably find that standard Israel travel insurance is inadequate or even invalid. In Gaza, the West Bank and along the Lebanese border the situation is often tense and can suddenly deteriorate. There is a risk of becoming caught up in Palestinian attacks and Israeli air strikes and armed incursions. There is also a risk of kidnapping by groups within these areas who are specifically targeting westerners.
Healthcare in Israel is of a very high standard, though it is expensive and the authorities have been known to prevent visitors leaving the country until their bill is settled. Comprehensive international health insurance is a must, as is Israel insurance for evacuation by air ambulance as the cost of this can be incredibly high.
Latest Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice
The FCO advise against all travel to specific areas of the Occupied Palestinian Territories and all but essential travel to some other areas. There is high risk of terrorism. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.