Azerbaijan insurance needs to be carefully selected to provide the right cover if you are planning to live, work or travel in this former Soviet state. Oil and gas employment attracts western workers but jobs in this sector are often high risk and in remote areas of Azerbaijan. Insurance should take into account all potential risks, especially with regard to poor medical facilities and hazardous roads.
Azerbaijan insurance – quick facts
- An unresolved dispute with neighbouring Armenia means that specialist insurance may be required if you are travelling to this border region
- International health insurance in Azerbaijan is strongly advised, along with cover for emergency evacuation
- Road travel can be hazardous due to poor maintenance and safety standards
- Oil and gas contractors may consider high-risk personal accident insurance to cover life and permanent or temporary disablement
Get the right insurance for Azerbaijan
- Specialist Azerbaijan insurance – this can include protection for personnel, property, vehicles and equipment, valid for high-risk occupations and high-risk territories
- We can help you to understand and meet contractual and local insurance obligations
- Due to Azerbaijan’s inadequate health care system and other infrastructure shortcomings, high-risk insurance is essential for visitors and expats
- We can cover you for life, personal accident, personal disability, medical emergencies, evacuation and other specialist insurance needs
What risks might you encounter?
Azerbaijan has long been famed for its oil springs and natural gas. In ancient times fire- worshipping Zoroastrians built temples around burning gas vents that rose from the ground. Today, foreign interest in the country’s natural resources is bringing much needed investment into the emerging economy. Azerbaijan insurance for foreign nationals, including those operating in the oil, gas and mining industries here, needs to be specialised since typical western life and personal accident policies may not provide sufficient cover.
Health facilities don’t meet western standards of care, therefore comprehensive medical insurance with emergency evacuation cover is a must.
Visitors should also be aware of the risks involved in road travel in Azerbaijan. The roads are in a poor state of repair, driving standards are low and accidents occur frequently. You should also be aware that corruption is an everyday aspect of life in Azerbaijan.
Latest advice from the FCO
The FCO advise against all travel to certain regions. All British nationals travelling to Azerbaijan must obtain a visa in advance. Avoid all demonstrations and large public gatherings. You should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.